Friday, January 23, 2009

Snark: Get Off of My Lawn, You Crazy Kids, Or I'll Get the Hose!

David Denby, a critic for The New Yorker, has written a book decrying (what else?) snark, entitled Snark: It's Mean, It's Personal, and It's Ruining Our Conversations. From what I can tell, mostly he confuses actual honest-to-goodness snark with trolling. So well done there, Mr. Denby.

However, since I really don't feel like wasting what precious money I have on a book that will tell me all about how I and my generation are destroying people's conversations and Internet experiences worldwide, I'll let Adam Sternbergh of the New York Magazine tell you what he thinks instead. Magically, and resisting the urge that clearly I cannot, he refrains from any snark on the book whatsoever and engages in a serious and honest tone about defining snark.

Sorry, Mr. Denby - I'll always hold a special place for Fandom Wank in my heart, and no clueless but crotchety author will sway that. I'll get off of your lawn now, there's no need to swing your cane at me so menacingly.

No comments:

Post a Comment